Wednesday 26 August 2015

The Continued Stereotype

I would like to make something clear: I wear glasses.  The reason I am stating this is because lots of people weirdly have a fixation with glasses. You think I would be flattered that people think of someone who wears glasses as some sort of polymath or nerd. (P.S A Polymath is someone who knows everything.) I am not a nerd. Here's what the dictionary defines as a nerd. As you can see I am not either of those. Saying someone who wears glasses is a nerd may be extremely offending to them. Then there is the stereotype that pretty people are mean. How would they feel! In my Ethics class a few terms back we were asked if we thought a pretty person could be nice. Nearly everyone answered 'maybe' or 'no'. This is a serious problem. Whatever happened to 'don't judge a book by it's cover'? Well I hope more people will open their minds to that statement.

nerd
nəːd/
noun
informal
  1. a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.
    "I was a serious nerd until I discovered girls and cars"
    synonyms:bore, dull person; More

  2. a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.
    "a computer nerd"






No comments:

Post a Comment

Sup. A little bird told me you're about to leave a comment on one of my posts. That's fine, I appreciate it! But please do not comment anything rude or offensive. Well, happy commenting.

Rose :3